PORTED 1911 Gov’t Conversion
Johnny’s Original .460 Rowland® was developed on a 1911 and it’s still Johnny’s favorite. The Compensated Conversion set the standard for the 1911 Conversion but it is no longer alone.
Developed for states where Compensators are problematic, the .460 Rowland® PORTED Conversion puts The Mighty .460 Rowland® in the hands of those who prefer a ported barrel. The radiating three-row pattern of circular ports found in our Conversion does a fantastic job of reducing slide speed and felt recoil … we love shooting them!
Expect just a bit more muzzle flip and felt recoil as compared to the Compensated 1911 but still enjoy smooth, manageable True .44 Magnum Performance with the only Authentic .460 Rowland® Conversion available anywhere.
Don’t be fooled by fraud! Look for our Federal Trademark Insignia “®” to be sure.
- A Match-Grade Stainless Steel Ported Barrel rated for our pressures and chambered in .460 Rowland®
- Our Exclusive Tougher Buffer Recoil System (see below to learn more!)
- A 20 (40) lb. Dual Action Flat-Wound Recoil Spring (as part of the Tougher Buffer Recoil System)
- A Match-Grade Barrel Bushing
- A 460 Rowland® Laser-Cut Barrel Bushing Wrench
- A guide rod hex wrench
- Installation instructions.
1911’s: Basic Criteria for a Successful ConversionWe recommend many modern 1911-style pistols and have a few guidelines to help ensure you have a successful Conversion. We always suggest if you are unsure, that you contact your gun’s manufacturer to confirm it meets our requirements, as below. This is particularly important with the heat treatment of the slide.
- Modern, High-Quality with a fully heat-treated slide (to Rockwell-C hardness > 36)
- Standard 5″, Normally Ramped, e. not fully ramped
- Standard Barrel Bushing Configuration, e. no bull barrels
- Not a “double-stack”….we have had very little success converting guns with 1911 DS magazines (see our FAQ “1911’s: Double Stack Magazines”).
For a list of some (definitely not ALL) potential models for an excellent Conversion, click on this link: https://www.460rowland.com/potential-1911-conversions/If you love your 1911, you will really love what Johnny can do for it: True .44 Magnum Performance in a lightweight, high-capacity, easy to shoot, semi-automatic pistol. Enjoy twice the velocity and over three times the power of your standard .45 ACP.
Special Note re: Stainless Steel GunsStainless Steel has a higher coefficient of friction than carbon steel. The .460 Rowland® 1911 Conversion, when fitted to a stainless steel 1911 with a 20# Tougher Buffer Recoil System may not reliably eject low-powered .45 ACP ammunition. That issue is readily addressed. With the introduction of our Tougher Buffer Recoil System, we now are able to offer a wide variety of flat-wound, dual-action spring tensions. These range from 13# to 24# and are for use with our Tougher Buffer’s .25” diameter two-piece, full-length guide rod. We recommend our Low-Rate Spring Tuning Pack for those looking for additional tuning options for their SS gun. We have found that one of this lower-tension, dual-action springs is often the remedy when the 20# spring struggles with .45 ACP. Polishing your rails can be helpful as well. This is a relatively simple task. See our FAQ #56 https://www.460rowland.com/faq/ All 1911’s are a bit different and in some rare instances, the higher friction of the stainless steel will prevent you from shooting both .460 Rowland® and .45 ACP from the same set-up. Should that happen with your gun you may need to revert to your stock barrel and recoil spring assembly to reliably cycle .45 ACP ammunition. And of course, if you need any help or advice along the way, we are always here to help in person in Tulsa, via email or over the phone (918) 928-7460. We have successfully converted hundreds of SS guns….yours can be the next!
About the .460 Rowland® 1911 Extended Firing PinIf you are experiencing primer blow-by it may be because you have an old-style .45 ACP firing pin assembly. Upgrade to our .460 Rowland® Extended Firing Pin to remedy these issues. Some 1911’s (even some very expensive models) have stubbornly adhered to John Browning’s original design and not gone to this more desirable firing pin assembly. The .460 Rowland® 1911 Extended Firing Pin solves the blow-by problem and has proven to be preferable when shooting some of the more modern high-pressure cartridges like the 10 mm, .45 Super and the Big Dog, the Mighty .460 Rowland®. Longer, Thinner, and Stronger to resolve primer blow-by problems in your:
- 1911 5″ “Gov’t”
- 1911 Cobra
- 1911 4.25″ “Commander”
The .460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer Recoil SystemThe .460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer Recoil System was originally designed as an integral part of our .460 Rowland® Cobra Conversion. Now included on all .460 Rowland® 1911 Conversions, it is also available as a stand-alone assembly to enhance the performance of your existing 1911 Conversion or your stock 1911 .45 ACP (or 10mm) handgun. This Dual-Action innovation effectively reduces felt recoil while saving your frame from undue punishment in a smooth and sustainable way.
What makes the .460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer Recoil System such an Improvement Over the Standard, 200 Year-Old Design?To begin, this Dual-Action, Flat-Wound Recoil Spring System stacks in a smaller space, lasts longer, and runs smoother than assemblies with conventionally-wound springs.
- By nesting a short section of flat-wound spring inside the base of the main spring, we permit the gun to unlock and begin its cycle under normal spring tension.
- As the slide accelerates and approaches the end of its cycle that inertia is resisted gradually by the second spring until, finally, twice the starting spring tension is being exerted against that moving hunk of steel.
- This Dual-Action innovation effectively reduces felt recoil while saving your frame from undue punishment in a smooth and sustainable way.
- Our complete Tougher Buffer Recoil System includes our full-length, two-piece Tougher Buffer Guide Rod mounted with our 20(40) Dual-Action Recoil Spring.
- Because every 1911 and every shooter is different, we offer a wide range of tuning options with compatible flat-wound Dual-Action Recoil Springs, either individually or in Tuning Packs: