Components included in the Conversion are:
- A Match-Grade Stainless Steel barrel rated for our pressures and chambered in .460 Rowland®
- Our integral .460 Rowland® Black Cerakoted Steel or Stainless Steel Compensator (both engraved in Deep Night Red)
- Our Exclusive Tougher Buffer Recoil System (see below to learn more!)
- A 20 (40) lb. Dual Action Flat-Wound Recoil Spring (as part of the Tougher Buffer Recoil System)
- A Match-Grade Barrel Bushing
- A 460 Rowland® Laser-Cut Barrel Bushing Wrench
- A guide rod hex wrench
- Installation instructions.
- In order to comply with some state requirements you can have us “Permanently Attach” either Compensator to your barrel…all this with no permanent alterations to your gun.
- Can you fire standard .45 ACP through your Authentic .460 Rowland® Conversion? Yes you can!
- (See our Special Note on Stainless Steel, below).
The 1911 is our most popular .460 Rowland® Conversion. Just replace your old barrel and recoil spring assembly with our Mighty .460 Rowland® parts and enjoy True .44 Magnum Power from your reliable 1911 pistol!
DON’T HAVE YOUR 1911 YET?
We have a Complete Custom .460 Rowland® Gun Package for you!! CLICK here:
“Dirty Harry for Your Daily Carry”
Our Unique and Proprietary Products are Often Copied but Never Duplicated. Don’t be fooled by fraud! Look for our Federal Trademark Insignia “®” to be sure.
Every Authentic .460 Rowland® 1911 Drop-in Conversion has everything you need to convert your standard 1911 into the extremely High-Powered, High-Performance, High-Capacity hunting and self-defense pistol: the Mighty .460 Rowland®!
1911’s: Basic Criteria for a Successful Conversion
We recommend many modern 1911-style pistols and have a few guidelines to help ensure you have a successful Conversion. We always suggest, if you are unsure, that you contact your gun’s manufacturer to confirm it meets our requirements, as below. This is particularly important with the heat treatment of the slide.
Modern, High-Quality with a fully heat-treated slide (to Rockwell-C hardness > 36)
Standard 5″, Normally Ramped, e. not fully ramped
Standard Barrel Bushing Configuration, e. no bull barrels
Not a “double-stack”….we have had very little success converting guns with 1911 DS magazines (see our FAQ “1911’s: Double Stack Magazines”).
For a list of some (definitely not ALL) potential models for an excellent Conversion, click on this link: https://www.460rowland.com/potential-1911-conversions/
If you love your 1911, you will really love what Johnny can do for it: True .44 Magnum Performance in a lightweight, high-capacity, easy to shoot, semi-automatic pistol. Enjoy twice the velocity and over three times the power of your standard .45 ACP.
About the “Dura-Match” Barrel
For just $60.00 you can now upgrade your Standard 1911 Conversion to include our .460 Rowland® Dura-Match Barrel. Built from a proprietary military-grade carbon steel, these innovative barrels are more difficult to produce but deliver true Match Grade+ performance. They are stronger, harder, and more resistant to friction, heat, abrasion, wear and corrosion than any other pistol barrel on the market today!
These new barrels are already more durable and conduct heat away faster… but they then undergo a high-integrity metallurgical process to further improve surface hardness, lubricity and resistance to heat and corrosion. We don’t simply apply a thick black “coating” to the surface of these already great barrels; we transform the molecular structure of the surface while maintaining critical dimensional tolerances. The process leaves a beautiful black finish…no more shiny metal glinting across the open field. You will absolutely love it!
Special Note re: Stainless Steel Guns
Stainless Steel has a higher coefficient of friction than carbon steel. The .460 Rowland® 1911 Conversion, when fitted to a stainless steel 1911 with a 20# Tougher Buffer Recoil System may not reliably eject low-powered .45 ACP ammunition. That issue is readily addressed.
With the introduction of our Tougher Buffer Recoil System we now are able to offer a wide variety of flat-wound, dual-action spring tensions. These range from 13# to 24# and are for use with our Tougher Buffer’s .25” diameter two-piece, full length guide rod.
We recommend our Low-Rate Spring Tuning Pack for those looking for additional tuning options for their SS gun. We have found that one of these lower-tension, dual-action springs is often the remedy when the 20# spring struggles with .45 ACP.
Polishing your rails can be helpful as well. This is a relatively simple task. See our FAQ #56 https://www.460rowland.com/faq/
All 1911’s are a bit different and in some rare instances the higher friction of the stainless steel will prevent you from shooting both .460 Rowland® and .45 ACP from the same set-up. Should that happen with your gun you may need to revert to your stock barrel and recoil spring assembly to reliably cycle .45 ACP ammunition.
And of course, if you need any help or advice along the way, we are always here to help in person in Tulsa, via email or over the phone (918) 928-7460. We have successfully converted hundreds of SS guns….yours can be the next!
About the .460 Rowland® 1911 Extended Firing Pin
If you are experiencing primer blow-by it may be because you have an old-style .45 ACP firing pin assembly. Upgrade to our .460 Rowland® Extended Firing Pin to remedy these issues.
Some 1911’s (even some very expensive models) have stubbornly adhered to John Browning’s original design and not gone to this more desirable firing pin assembly.
The .460 Rowland® 1911 Extended Firing Pin solves the blow-by problem and has proven to be preferable when shooting some of the more modern high-pressure cartridges like the 10 mm, .45 Super and the Big Dog, the Mighty .460 Rowland®.
Longer, Thinner and Stronger to resolve primer blow-by problems in your:
- 1911 5″ “Gov’t”
- 1911 Cobra
- 1911 4.25″ “Commander”
- It includes an Extra Power Firing Pin Spring. Compatible with your large or small diameter .45 ACP firing pin assembly.
- Firing Pin Diameter: .067″
- The “Permanently Attach” Option:
- The purpose of this Option is to permanently secure the Compensator to the barrel to make it legal in California and other restrictive states. With the exception of the 1911, the customer must send their slide to 460 Rowland LLC for securing.
- For the 1911, the barrel is removable/replaceable even after the Compensator is attached, so only the barrel need be sent. In the case of a new Conversion sale, we can secure the Compensator before shipping your order.
- The .460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer Recoil System
- The .460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer Recoil System was originally designed as an integral part of our .460 Rowland® Cobra Conversion. Now included on all .460 Rowland® 1911 Conversions, it is also available as a stand-alone assembly to enhance the performance of your existing 1911 Conversion or your stock 1911 .45 ACP (or 10mm) handgun.
- This Dual-Action innovation effectively reduces felt recoil while saving your frame from undue punishment in a smooth and sustainable way.
What makes the .460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer Recoil System such an Improvement Over the Standard, 200 Year-Old Design?
To begin, this Dual-Action, Flat-Wound Recoil Spring System stacks in a smaller space, lasts longer and runs smoother than assemblies with conventionally-wound springs.
By nesting a short section of flat-wound spring inside the base of the main spring, we permit the gun to unlock and begin its cycle under normal spring tension.
As the slide accelerates and approaches the end of its cycle that inertia is resisted gradually by the second spring until, finally, twice the starting spring tension is being exerted against that moving hunk of steel.
This Dual-Actioninnovation effectively reduces felt recoil while saving your frame from undue punishment in a smooth and sustainable way.
Our complete Tougher Buffer Recoil System includes our full-length, two-piece Tougher Buffer Guide Rod mounted with our 20(40) Dual-Action Recoil Spring .
Because every 1911 and every shooter is different, we offer a wide range of tuning options with compatible flat-wound Dual-Action Recoil Spring s , either individually orin Tuning Packs:
- 24 (48) lb.
- 22 (44) lb.
- 20 (40) lb.
- 17 (34) lb.
- 15 (30) lb.
- 13 (26) lb.
- High-Rate Tuning Pack: includes 24 (48) lb. and 22 (44) lb Dual-Action Recoil Spring s
- Low-Rate Tuning Pack: includes 17 (34) lb., 15 (30) lb. and 13 (26) lb. Dual-Action Recoil Spring s (recommended for SS guns)
The Tougher Buffer Guide Rod is also available separately.
A Word About “Recoil Buffers”:
Why not just use the plastic or teflon Shock/Recoil Buffer Rings sold for use between the end of your guide rod and slide? Well, these little cushions do nothing until the slide gets up a full head of steam. Imagine trying to reduce or buffer all that energy in such a very short distance, i.e. the thickness of the buffer ring.
They are much less effective, take a terrible beating, come apart quickly inside your gun and must be monitored and replaced before they cause misfires.
In designing the iconic 1911, the venerable John Browning deliberately used the metallic “ping” at the end of each cycle to shake up the stack of cartridges in the magazine (keeping them fluid) to facilitate more reliable feeding.
Recoil buffers dampen that all-important “ping”. They are not very effective and can lead to potential misfires from failure and jamming. Johnny says: “Just Don’t Use Them!”
The .460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer System is elegant, versatile, lasts longer, will never break down in your gun and is simply more effective than other recoil assemblies available.
About our Tougher Buffer Guide Rod:
Full-length guide rods are generally considered better because they force the recoil spring to stack without kinking or twisting and we agree. Our Tougher Buffer Guide Rod is .25″ in diameter (thinner than most) to accommodate the flat-wound springs we like so much. And now it is fluted , making it easier to take apart i the field without an allen wrench.
We stand behind our products “®”. Try them and love them…or return them for repair, replacement or refund.