The Compensated 1911 Basics:
Your 6″ 1911 needs to have a standard single-stack magazine, a standard match-grade barrel (not “fully ramped”) and a standard barrel bushing (not a bull barrel).
If yours is a single stack but has a fully ramped barrel or a bull barrel then we can work up a custom installation price for you….but we can not work with a double-stack magazine.
We have found that Long Slide recoil assemblies are not all the same and generally need to be custom fit and tuned for each gun.
This may require switching out springs and/or
trimming them to length to fit your specific recoil assembly housing.
In short, you will be adjusting two variables: recoil spring tension and length to find the sweet spot for your gun.
A complete set of Springs are included with your Conversion
What To Do:
You can install your Conversion one of two ways:
1) Your Conversion includes a 5-spring tuning pack so you can do the installation and tuning yourself or…
2) Just send us your complete gun and we will install, fit, tune and test your entire Conversion at no extra charge. Return Shipping after Conversion of your gun will be charged when we send it back to you.
Click the links below for information about shipping us your gun and a copy of our FFL to include in the box.
USPS Form 1508
“Dirty Harry for Your Daily Carry”
Our Unique and Proprietary Products are Often Copied but Never Duplicated. Don’t be fooled by fraud! Look for our Federal Trademark Insignia “®” to be sure.
Every Authentic .460 Rowland® 1911 Drop-in Conversion has everything you need to convert your standard 1911 into the extremely High-Powered, High-Performance, High-Capacity hunting and self-defense pistol: the Mighty .460 Rowland®!
Components included in the Conversion are:
- A 6″ Match-Grade Stainless Steel barrel rated for our pressures and chambered in .460 Rowland®
- Our integral .460 Rowland® Black Cerakoted Carbon Steel or Stainless Steel Compensator (select SS Comp as an Option)…both engraved in Deep Night Red.
- Our Exclusive 5-spring Tuning Pack
- A Match-Grade Barrel Bushing
- A 460 Rowland® Laser-Cut Barrel Bushing Wrench
- Installation instructions…and installation assistance as needed.
- In order to comply with some state requirements you can have us Permanently Attach either Compensator to your barrel…all this with no permanent alterations to your gun.
Can you fire standard .45 ACP through your Authentic .460 Rowland® Conversion? Yes you can!
(See our Special Note on Stainless Steel, below).
1911’s: Basic Criteria for a Successful Conversion
We recommend many modern 1911-style pistols and have a few guidelines to help ensure you have a successful Conversion. We always suggest, if you are unsure, that you contact your gun’s manufacturer to confirm it meets our requirements, as below. This is particularly important with the heat treatment of the slide.
Modern, High-Quality with a fully heat-treated slide (to Rockwell-C hardness > 36)
Standard 6″, Normally Ramped, e. not fully ramped (though Custom Installation possible)
Standard Barrel Bushing Configuration, e. no bull barrels (though Custom Installation possible)
Not a “double-stack”….we have had very little success converting guns with 1911 DS magazines (see our FAQ “1911’s: Double Stack Magazines”).
If you love your 1911, you will really love what Johnny can do for it: True .44 Magnum Performance in a lightweight, high-capacity, easy to shoot, semi-automatic pistol.
Enjoy twice the velocity and over three times the power of your standard .45 ACP.
Our Long Slide version will shoot more softly and deliver even greater velocities, as much as 50-100 fps over a 5″ barrel.
Special Note re: Stainless Steel Guns
All 1911’s are a bit different and in some rare instances the higher friction of the stainless steel will prevent you from shooting both .460 Rowland® and .45 ACP from the same set-up. Should that happen with your gun you may need to revert to your stock barrel and recoil spring assembly to reliably cycle .45 ACP ammunition.
Polishing your rails can be helpful as well. This is a relatively simple task. See our FAQ #56 https://four60rowland.wpengine.com/faq/
And of course, if you need any help or advice along the way, we are always here to help in person in Tulsa, via email or over the phone (918) 928-7460. We have successfully converted hundreds of SS guns….yours can be the next!
About the .460 Rowland® 1911 Extended Firing Pin
If you are experiencing primer blow-by it may be because you have an old-style .45 ACP firing pin assembly. Upgrade to our .460 Rowland® Extended Firing Pin to remedy these issues.
Some 1911’s (even some very expensive models) have stubbornly adhered to John Browning’s original design and not gone to this more desirable firing pin assembly.
The .460 Rowland® 1911 Extended Firing Pin solves the blow-by problem and has proven to be preferable when shooting some of the more modern high-pressure cartridges like the 10 mm, .45 Super and the Big Dog, the Mighty .460 Rowland®.
Longer, Thinner and Stronger to resolve primer blow-by problems in your:
- 1911 5″ “Gov’t”
- 1911 6″ Long Slide
- 1911 4.25″ “Commander”
- It includes an Extra Power Firing Pin Spring. Compatible with your large or small diameter .45 ACP firing pin assembly.
- Firing Pin Diameter: .067″
- The “Permanently Attach” Option:
- The purpose of this Option is to permanently secure the Compensator to the barrel to make it legal in California and other restrictive states.
With the exception of the 1911, the customer must send their slide to 460 Rowland LLC for securing.
For the 1911, the barrel is removable/replaceable even after the Compensator is attached, so only the barrel need be sent. In the case of a new Conversion sale, we can secure the Compensator before shipping your order.
Don’t be fooled by fraud! Look for our Federal Trademark Insignia “®” to be sure.