.460 Rowland® 1911 “Tougher Buffer” Recoil System
The .460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer Recoil System was originally designed as an integral part of our .460 Rowland® Cobra Conversion. Now included on all .460 Rowland® 1911 Conversions, it is also available as a stand-alone assembly to enhance the performance of your existing 1911 Conversion or your stock 1911 .45 ACP (or 10mm) handgun. This Dual-Action innovation effectively reduces felt recoil while saving your frame from undue punishment in a smooth and sustainable way.
“Hi Thomas, I switched out my 1911 recoil spring for your 2 stage style spring and oh my gosh what a wonderful setup it has turned out to be. This is such a great upgrade! I’m speechless how well this works.” JN Email 012820
What Makes Our.460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer Recoil System Such an Improvement Over the Standard, 200-year-old design?
- To begin, this Dual-Action, Flat-Wound Recoil Spring System stacks in a smaller space, lasts longer, and runs smoother than assemblies with conventionally-wound springs.
- By nesting a short section of flat-wound spring inside the base of the mainspring, we permit the gun to unlock and begin its cycle under normal spring tension.
- As the slide accelerates and approaches the end of its cycle that inertia is resisted gradually by the second spring until, finally, twice the starting spring tension is being exerted against that moving hunk of steel.
- This Dual-Action innovation effectively reduces felt recoil while saving your frame from undue punishment in a smooth and sustainable way.
- Our complete Tougher Buffer Recoil System includes our full-length, two-piece Tougher Buffer Guide Rod mounted with our 20 lb.-40 lb. Dual-Action Recoil Spring.
- Because every 1911 and every shooter is different, we offer a wide range of tuning options with compatible flat-wound Dual-Action Recoil Springs , either individually or in Tuning Packs:
- 24 (48) lb.
- 22 (44) lb.
- 20 (40) lb.
- 17 (34) lb.
- 15 (30) lb.
- 13 (26) lb.
- High-Rate Tuning Pack: includes 24 (48) lb. and 22 (44) lb Dual-Action Recoil Springs
- Low-Rate Tuning Pack: includes 17 (34) lb., 15 (30) lb. and 13 (26) lb. Dual-Action Recoil Springs
The Tougher Buffer Guide Rod is also available separately.
A Word About “Recoil Buffers”
Why not just use the plastic or Teflon Shock/Recoil Buffer Rings sold for use between the end of your guide rod and slide? Well, these little cushions do nothing until the slide gets up a full head of steam. Imagine trying to reduce or buffer all that energy in such a very short distance, i.e. the thickness of the buffer ring. They are much less effective, take a terrible beating, come apart quickly inside your gun, and must be monitored and replaced before they cause misfires.
In designing the iconic 1911, the venerable John Browning deliberately used the metallic “ping” at the end of each cycle to shake up the stack of cartridges in the magazine (keeping them fluid) to facilitate more reliable feeding. Recoil Buffers dampen that all-important “ping”. They are not very effective and can lead to potential misfires from failure and jamming. Johnny says: “Just Don’t Use Them!”
The .460 Rowland® Tougher Buffer System is elegant, versatile, lasts longer, will never break down in your gun, and is simply more effective than other recoil assemblies available.
About our Tougher Buffer Guide Rod:
Full-length guide rods are generally considered better because they force the recoil spring to stack without kinking or twisting and we agree. Our Tougher Buffer Guide Rod is .25″ in diameter (thinner than most) to accommodate the flat-wound springs we like so much.
No Compensator, SS Compensator